The Sustainable City Community Action Plan outlines the Actions that Council will take over the next three years to support the community to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, water use and waste. This includes residents, businesses, community services and schools.
The Action Plan has an annual project budget of $300,000 over three years. As with all Council projects, this funding allocation will be assessed each year. This budget will cover the employment of a dedicated project officer and the costs of delivering the Actions.
WHAT YOU TOLD US
In order to make sure we have a genuine impact on the behaviour of our community, we asked you about environmental sustainability during the development of this plan. Here is the feedback we received;
1. The current state of the environment is in a bad shape but a lot of effort might save it.
2. Council has a leadership role to play in supporting the community to take sustainability actions.
3. Living in rented accommodation and/or an apartment building is a huge barrier to taking sustainable actions.
4. Sustainable solutions can be expensive. Council should offer community greater support by, for example, providing a solar bulk buy program or a financing program.
5. Environmental benefits alone don’t always motivate you to take sustainable actions. Convenience and financial savings are important too.
6. You want to know what works and what doesn’t. You want Council to evaluate the success of programs and communicate this to you.
7. Council should look at what other councils are doing well and build on existing relationships with community.
8. Council should provide more information and education to support behaviour change.
The Sustainable City Community Action Plan outlines the Programs we will deliver over the next three years to support our community to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, water use and waste.